Nutrition plays a key role in energy, motivation, endurance, and recovery… which are crucial to success in any fitness journey. This is why IV vitamin therapy has become very popular in the last few years.
Let’s look at how vitamin drips and functional medicine can help you find the energy and motivation you need to reach your fitness goals.
What Is IV Vitamin Therapy
IV therapy is an efficient way to supply essential vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients directly to the bloodstream using the same equipment you would expect when receiving an IV in any medical setting.
Because this delivery method bypasses the digestive system completely, nutrients are absorbed efficiently and completely into the bloodstream, where they can do the most good. So it’s much more efficient and effective than taking your vitamins in pill form.
When you visit a functional medicine specialist for IV therapy, they will create a personalized treatment just for you based on your specific fitness goals and health concerns. They can also run blood work to detect any nutrient deficiencies affecting your fitness journey and overall health when requested.
IV therapy can also help you recover and get back in the gym sooner by replenishing lost fluids and depleted nutrients after high-intensity exercise.
Why Is IV Vitamin Therapy different Than Oral Vitamins
IV vitamin drips were developed and conducted by Dr. John Myers in the 1970s.
His analysis led to the successful Myers’ Cocktail.
These kinds of infusions frequently take between 20 and 60 minutes to administer and take place inside a therapeutic office with a licensed medical professional witnessing the infusion.
While you’re undergoing IV vitamin therapy, your body is gaining a higher absorption of the vitamins.
Vitamins that are taken orally are metabolized in the stomach and digestive tract.
This limits how much can be received (Roughly around 50%); however, the vitamin given through an IV is absorbed in a much higher percentage (on average, about 90%).
What Is Your Body Experiencing during An IV Treatment
When you receive an IV vitamin treatment, you’re receiving a blend of vitamins and minerals within an intravenous tube placed into your vein.
This enables the nutrients to be received quickly and immediately into the bloodstream, a process that produces greater levels of the vitamins and minerals in your body than if you received them from food or supplements.
This is because various circumstances affect our body’s capacity to absorb nutrients in the stomach.
These include your age, health status, how fast or slow your metabolism runs, your genetics, the bioavailability of other food and supplements that we consume, and the supplement or food’s natural and artificial structure.
Greater levels of the vitamins and minerals in your bloodstream drive greater delivery into your cells, which apparently will use the nutrients to sustain health and resist illness.
What Should You Look For When You Are Going To Get An IV Vitamin Therapy
If you are interested in trying IV vitamin therapy, you should research and find a reputable doctor who has experience administering and overlooking the infusions.
You should also be ready to provide them with your personal medical history.
You will need to include any concerns you may have about yourself, any medications you’re currently taking or have recently been prescribed.
You need to include not only prescriptions but over-the-counter (OTC) medicines and any supplements.
It would also be a good idea for you to talk with your primary physician to see if they think IV vitamin therapy would be an ideal course of action for you.
If you have had blood work done, ask them if any vitamin or mineral deficiencies showed up that could be helped by IV vitamin therapy and whether any of your ailments would be exasperated because of it.
Ensure the doctor you’re receiving the therapy from is board certified and aware of your health conditions, and check to see if you can have a consultation beforehand to go over any issues you may have.
One area you will have to do your due diligence is to make sure you’re going to a clinic with a high priority on professionalism and cleanliness.
Many of these clinics are not governed by the same regulations as normal dr offices and may lack some of the key areas you normally take for granted.
The reason they aren’t strictly overseen is that you’re receiving vitamins instead of drugs. Do your research before you go; if you end up having a negative experience, you’ll only have yourself to blame if you didn’t put in the time to find a reputable Dr.
The best way to do this is to find reviews of the clinics near you and then spread your search area out if you’re not happy with what you find.
The clinic should look sanitary, the Dr’s and nurses should be wearing gloves, and don’t allow them to hurry the process, make sure you stop them if you have any questions or ask them to explain everything before they do it.
Vitamin IV Therapy Pros And Cons
Like anything in life, there are pros and cons to vitamin drips. Here are some of them.
- Increase energy
- Strengthen your immune system
- Administers vitamins and minerals you have a deficiency in
- May help you lose weight
- Allows quicker recovery for athletes
- Is considered a hoax by a large percentage of the medical field
- Can be expensive if you don’t have insurance that covers it
- If you have a phobia of needles
- Isn’t regulated by the FDA
Does IV Vitamin Therapy Work
Like several alternative procedures, vitamin IV therapies aren’t backed by substantial scientific backing.
The FDA doesn’t evaluate most of these procedures, and many professionals in the medical field believe they don’t offer any benefits.
There isn’t any data to sustain their application or history that they propose any health benefits.
While vitamin supplementation absolutely has positive benefits in individuals that have certain ailments.
Using them to sustain your health, rejuvenation, or make you happier is considered a large percentage of the medical population to be ridiculous.
It has had the most success in cancer patients that have had vitamin deficiencies caused by chemotherapy.
The Other Side Of The Story On How Effective They Are
Like everything in life, there are two sides to the story, and for every person in the medical field who believes IV vitamin therapy is a scam, someone else swears it heightens their quality of life.
The most popular ailments people believe IV therapy can treat are
- Headaches, including migraines
- Lethargy and general fatigue
- Immune deficiency
- Sluggish metabolism
- Soreness after working out
- Jet lag
- Help you beat a cold or flu faster.
The immediate immersion of fluids is effective at rehydrating your body.
The most trustworthy way to see if an infusion can benefit you is to communicate with a specialist and have them listen to your concerns and work up diagnostic screenings to ascertain what, if any, vitamin deficiencies you’re experiencing.
How Long Do IV Vitamins Stay In Your System, How Often Do I Have To Go
A treatment plan will include a workup to let you know how often you should undergo IV therapy.
This will vary from person to person, so there is no way for me to tell you right now.
In the initial treatment phase, it’s not uncommon for you to schedule a weekly infusion.
If you’re going to treat a chronic health condition that impairs your immunity, it may be advised that you maintain an aggressive approach where you go once a week for the foreseeable future.
Most patients will benefit from procedures spaced around every two weeks once their nutrient levels shift to more balanced levels.
Your nutrient levels endure elevated levels two to three weeks following every treatment.
Since your treatment strategy will be customized individually, it is challenging to give you an idea of what to expect.
Speak to your Dr about the best way to achieve and maintain the results you are looking for.
What Vitamins Are In IV Therapy
All of them!
Whatever vitamins the dr deems you have a deficiency of will be put into the treatment.
The most beneficial vitamins for your infusion will be the vitamins produced by your body already since the Dr will know how much of them you normally have consistently.
This will guarantee that the IV infusion contains a healthy dose for your body’s needs.
The most common vitamin deficiencies in people are vitamin C, B, A, calcium, iron, iodine, and magnesium.
You can also have essential amino acids added into your treatment along with non-essential amino acids if your body isn’t producing them on its own.
Your infusion will either include a single vitamin like a B12 therapy, or it will have what’s known as a cocktail of different vitamins, amino acids, and antioxidants, depending on what you need.
What Are The Benefits Of IV Therapy
Whether or not these benefits are factual will depend on who you talk to, but the supposed benefits list is long.
- Treats headaches and migraines
- The health of your skin
- Sexual performance
- Lack of energy
- Jet lag
- Immune strength
- Cure a cold or flu sooner
- Soreness after a workout or competition
- Athletic performance
Is IV Therapy Covered By Insurance
Most plans will cover home infusions or clinic visits like they would a normal visit to your primary care physician.
Checking with your insurance is the only way to know if they definitely cover it and if your co-pay would be the same.
How Much Does IV Vitamin Therapy Cost
If you have insurance covering Iv vitamin therapy, you should only have to pay your normal co-pay.
If you don’t have insurance, each clinic offers different prices depending on what you need.
Does IV Therapy Work For Weight Loss
Weight loss IV drips supply your body with vitamins to make you the healthiest version of yourself so that your body can increase its metabolism, thermogenesis and increase your energy levels to make exercise easier.
It has to be combined with a healthy diet and exercise routine for it to be successful; it will not on any level make you lose weight without you eating a healthy diet and working out regularly.
The Benefits Of A Weight Loss IV Treatment
- Increase vitamin levels: Weight loss IV drips help you restore energy levels by addressing your system’s lack of electrolytes and vitamins.
- Helps you heal quickly post-workout: Your treatments improve your recovery time after workouts to help you effectively perform your next workout and guard against overtraining.
- Boosts your adrenal gland: They fight adrenal fatigue to help you discard excess fat stored on your body. When you give your adrenal glands assistance, you improve your metabolism to lose weight efficiently.
- Better quality of sleep: A lack of sleep will hinder almost all of your bodily actions, including weight loss. It’s while you sleep that your body can begin to repair abnormalities in its daily functions.
How Do You Feel After IV Therapy
The most common feeling is a boost in energy and not feeling as fatigued.
I’ve heard of people having a ravenous appetite afterward, and if you are into exercising, it seems to make your muscles feel less sore and limber.
Vitamin C IV Therapy
Vitamin C, also called L-ascorbic acid, can not be made naturally by the human body, so it is often administered through a vitamin drip.
This is a good choice for many different reasons.
Vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps reduce oxidative stress and protects your cells from free radical damage.
It strengthens your adrenal glands, increases your energy levels, and helps deliver nutrients for the sick or receiving chemotherapy.
Some other reasons are:
- Collagen production
- energy production
- Immune support
- Antioxidant properties
Can Vitamin B12 Be Given By IV
Yes, B12 is one of the most common reasons people receive IV therapy.
Is IV Better Than Drinking Water
No, it would help if you drink daily, and you can’t be on an IV all day long.
staying hydrated will prevent you from experiencing
- Muscle aches
- Muscle pulls
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Increase your metabolism
- Help you feel satiated longer.
Overcome Fatigue And Lack of Motivation
When you’re trying to up your fitness game, finding the energy and motivation to work out are your biggest obstacles.
Many people give up before they even get started because they can’t find the energy to exercise.
And that’s a real shame because, in many cases, treatable underlying health issues like hormonal imbalances and nutrient deficiencies are to blame.
Adrenal and thyroid imbalances, poor cardio and respiratory health, allergies, and inflammation can contribute.
Overcoming these issues with IV therapy and functional medicine can help get you on the right track and take your fitness journey to the next level.
Here are some examples of how these underlying health concerns can undermine your fitness goals:
- Low testosterone levels: Low testosterone levels can be an issue for both men and women. If you’re dealing with slow recovery after workouts, lack of motivation, poor endurance, and/or an inability to focus, low testosterone could be the cause.
- Adrenal imbalance: When the adrenal gland doesn’t function correctly, it is hormonal imbalance and extreme fatigue. Unfortunately, if you manage to work up enough energy to exercise, you’ll be completely exhausted afterward.
- Thyroid imbalances: Thyroid imbalances are much more common than you might think, and they can lead to extreme fatigue, making it difficult to perform daily tasks, much less work up the motivation to work out.
- Poor cardiovascular health: The heart pumps oxygen and blood to your muscles and organs. If it’s not functioning optimally, sticking to any fitness routine will be challenging.
- Respiratory issues: Our bodies need more oxygen during exercise than they do at any other time, so good respiratory health is crucial for reaching your fitness goals. If your suffering from allergies, you may have inflammation in your lungs and other areas of the body, interfering with your respiratory health and ability to exercise.
Functional medicine evaluates the body’s core systems and uses IV therapy to address underlying health issues like these.
Once these obstacles have been corrected, many patients find that they have all the motivation and energy to move forward in their fitness journey.
Other Ways IV Therapy Can Take Your Fitness Journey to the Next Level
Getting an IV drip is an excellent way to complement your current workout regimen and speed up your recovery time between workouts, too. According to the team at Rahav Wellness IV drips, optimizing your nutrition and hydration with IV therapy can:
- Speed up cellular repair
- Reduce muscle spasms and cramps
- Reduce muscle stiffness and soreness
- Strengthen the immune system, which can be weakened by repeated high-intensity exercise
- Help the body use energy more efficiently
- Fight oxidative stress
- Boost endurance
- Improve muscle tone and strength
- Support healthy metabolism
- Support protein synthesis to speed up the repair and growth of muscles
How Specific IV Therapy Nutrients Can Affect the Fitness Journey
Functional medicine practitioners utilize a variety of different nutrients to help you achieve your fitness goals. In addition to custom-blended formulas, many clinics offer premade solutions to address a variety of concerns. Here’s a look at some of the more popular IV therapy ingredients and how they can affect your fitness journey.
- IV Fluids and Electrolytes: A basic Hydration IV for athletes will directly provide vital fluids and electrolytes to the bloodstream. This combination includes minerals that support muscle, nerve, and organ function. They also help cells and tissue repair more quickly after injury or strenuous exercise.
- B-Vitamin Complex: B-vitamins assist with energy production, heart health, metabolism, and much more.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is a potent antioxidant that supports bone and muscle health and strength, improves circulation, and supports cellular repair for faster healing of muscles and injuries.
- Magnesium: Magnesium is an important mineral for muscle and nerve health, cardiovascular function, and protein synthesis.
- Glutathione: Receiving a push of this potent antioxidant in IV helps remove the free radicals that are naturally produced during exercise. Glutathione is an excellent nutrient for workout recovery because it removes the free radicals that are naturally produced during strenuous exercise. It also suppresses muscle fatigue during your workout so you can exercise longer and harder.
- Amino acids: Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. They’re essential for healthy cells and organs, repair and healing, muscle growth, and energy production.
IV Therapy for Competition Athletes
Whether you’re just beginning your fitness journey or you’ve been working out for years, competing in events is a great way to stay motivated and test your progress. In addition, IV therapy is a valuable tool for competitive athletes who want to optimize their post-event recovery.
Not only does it provide effective rehydration and fight oxidative stress, but IV therapy also reduces inflammation and pain, including muscle soreness and pain. As a result, competition athletes can use IV therapy to speed up muscle repair so they can begin training for their next event much sooner.
If you’re looking to begin a workout regimen or want to amp up your current routine but can’t find the motivation or energy, IV vitamin therapy may help you start to feel better.
Functional medicine can help you discover underlying health issues that may be affecting your motivation and energy.
Then IV therapy can provide the nutrients you need to correct your health concerns and move your fitness journey to the next level.
It would help if you ensured that certified professionals run the clinic where you’re receiving your vitamin drip. Unfortunately, since the FDA doesn’t govern these offices, you will sometimes run into individuals who don’t abide by the rules they should be following.