A quality preacher curl bench is a must need if you desire a pair of thick muscular arms, and let’s face it, one of the main reasons anyone becomes interested in lifting weights is to create massive arms to intimidate other men and attract the opposite sex.
The preacher curl is great for arm development due to how the exercise focuses on the peak and the inner bicep muscle.
This is a complete list of the top rated preacher curl benches comparing price points, durability, how comfortable they are, how much weight they can hold, and the footprint they will take up in your home gym.
This list will include stand alone preacher curl benches and benches with an attached preacher curl set up.
I did this so that this list could be useful to someone with a home gym that is looking upgrade their equipment for better training, or someone that is just starting off and is looking for the complete package.
Best Bang For Your Buck
Preacher bench that takes up the smallest amount of room
This Is The Complete List
Features include a 150-pound vinyl coated weight stack, dual function press arm, lat bar, adjustable preacher curl pad, and comfortable roller pads. It also offers an adjustable butterfly attachment and leg developer for an easy way to change up fitness routines!
Item Dimensions – L x W x H68 x 79 x 36 inches
- Made out of 14 gauge steel, this is a tank
- Very affordable for what you are receiving
- Two separate lateral bars give you different options to strengthen your muscles. The pulley system allows easy weight lifting by using the lateral bars for pull ups, pullovers, pulldowns, and pulley rows to build your body muscle
- This press arm has two settings: vertical butterfly and chest press. When set to vertical butterfly, each press swings individually to strengthen the muscles while switching to chest press is easy by inserting the pin and lift.
- Complete home gym
- Hard to assemble
- I wish the range of motion on the butterfly was larger, but not a deal breaker
This product is very well put together, ideal for commercial or gyms. Constructed from heavy-duty 2” x 2” steel for a strong and stable frame necessary when lifting heavy weight. Designed with high-quality and high-density dual-layered padding that can withstand stress from intense workouts. Angled pad measures 14.5” x 24”. Straight pad measures 11.5” x 23.5”. Dual Positions allow the user the option to perform curls on both sides of the CB-5 Station to target different elements of the bicep preacher curl exercise. Warranty 3-year frame, 2-year pad.
Item Dimensions – L x W x H46 x 31 x 44 inches
- Extremely well built, and stable even while using heavy weights
- Preacher bench is made of strong material that doesn’t feel or sound like it will ever break
- Extra-long 19.5” safety catches on both sides of the machine provide optimal security while your lifting heavy weight. Plastic covering on safety catch to protect bars from scratching.
- Good Warranty 3-year frame, 2-year pad.
- The only con is the price may be a little high for some people, but you get what you pay for in life.
Body-Solid Powercenter Olympic Combo Bench with Preacher Curl and LAT Pulldown Attachment (GDIB46LP4)
Get a total-body workout on the most versatile and complete combo bench available. The PowerCenter Combo Bench is a Flat Bench, Incline Bench, Decline Bench, 90° Shoulder Press Bench, and Seated Leg Developer all in one. You can see the dynamics of this bench as soon as you glance at the multi-position, telescoping uprights that safely hold the bar for bench exercises. The 6-position Flat / Incline / Decline / Bench features pop-pin adjustable DuraFirm”! seat and back pads that are extra-thick, ultra-comfortable, and will never bottom out.
Item Dimensions – L x W x H77 x 46 x 81 inches
- Made from extra heavy 12-gauge welded high tensile strength steel frame
- Thick oversized foam rollers make working out a pleasure
- A true full body workout, it comes with a lat attachment, Preacher curl attachment, and a leg developer.
- Bench moves to 6 positions with a pop pin design
- The only con is the price but once you look into all the features you get, and how well it is made, you won’t have to worry about it breaking and having to replace it.
The Valor Fitness CB-6 Adjustable Arm Curl Bench is constructed from 2 in. X 2 in. solid Steel for a strong frame. It includes Rubber End Caps at the base of the frame for added stability and to protect home gym floors from damage. High-density, dual layered, vinyl padding is meant to withstand intense stress after repeated use. Arm pad measures 24. 5 in. X 16 in. Seat Pad adjusts in 5 positions (23 in. at highest, 18 in. at lowest), Arm Rest adjusts in 5 positions (41 in. at highest, 33 in. at lowest), and Bar Holder adjusts in 4 positions (24 in. at highest, 18. 5 in. at lowest). Bar Holder at the front of the unit measures 22 in. inside to inside and 25. 5 in. outside to outside. .
Item dimensions 22.5 x 36 inches
- Strong frame – The base is made of 2″x2″ steel so that you won’t have to worry about stability.
- Ergonomic – The seat pad adjusts in 5 positions to allow any body type to use the correct technique while exercising.
- well made bar holder – A lot of times you see bar holders that can’t support the bar once you start putting weight on, you won’t have to worry about that and it is big enough for an olympic bar
- A couple of the benches had a 1/8th difference in height from side to side making it wobble. Not sure if this is a fluke or a normal problem across the board.
Additional Information Full Olympic size with uprights at 42 inches apart on inside dimensions Heavy-duty, 3-inch steel uprights and main frame Deluxe Lat Tower and Arm Curl included, as well as storage stands for each Leg lift with curl bar attachment Rear features a built-in squat rack Complete with 3 Olympic weight plate adapters and spring clips 275-pound weight capacity Manufacturer’s warranty included Full Olympic size. Adjustable uprights and seat back include decline. Heavy-duty 3-inch steel uprights and frame. Manufacturer’s warranty included.
Item Dimensions – L x W x H88 x 60 x 83 inches
- Also includes a lat pulldown, which is hard to find on a free weight bench
- 3″ steel frame, this won’t break
- Comes with olympic plate adapters and spring clips
- It’s a four star bench for a 2 star price
- Takes up a larger amount of room then other benches.
- A little hard to put together
- Changing out the accessories can be a little annoying
Olympic Multi-Position Bench adjusts to incline, decline or flat, power Catch Uprights Strong and sturdy, these Olympic-width, Power Catch uprights are built to withstand the toughest workouts. Squat Center Safely perform squats with the Squat Center that incorporates strong uprights with Power Catch technology and extra-long safety spotters.
Item Dimensions – L x W x H45 x 23 x 15 inches
- Adjustable safety spotters
- Comfortable rolled preacher pad
- Solid build
- Easy to put together
- Not for very heavy weight, novice to amateur weight lifters 300 pound max
- 6′ olympic bar doesn’t fit, you need a 7′
Fitness Reality X-Class Olympic Preacher Curl and Leg Developer Attachment. Designed with a removable preacher curl pad and leg developer, the X-Class Preacher Curl attachment can support a 180 lb. weight plate capacity and has six 7.75” long foam rollers with 4” foam thinness
Item Dimensions – 33” L x 24” W x 36” H,
- Warranty: 10 years frame, 3 years parts and 2 years wearable parts
- Very thick padding – Preacher curl is 2 inches thick medium Density vinyl covered foam. Six 7.75″ long foam rollers with 4″ foam thickness
- The attachment has 6 height adjustments and a 2 height adjustable preacher curl pad. Removable leg developer and preacher curl pad
- Doesn’t come with an olympic weight adapter sleeve
- Heavy and awkward to move
- You need to make sure it is adaptable to your bench
Satisfy all of your weight bench needs with the comfortably-designed standard sized MWB-20100. Through a wide variety of handy features, this bench makes executing an exceptional full body work out in the comfort of your own home easier than ever. With the inclusion of proper padding and high density upholstery, this bench provides the necessary comfort to keep you training as long as you need to. This classic weight bench design which accepts a 5 foot weight bar is perfect for both beginners and experts, and the highly-durable structure gives the more experienced all the support they need and then some. Once you’re done, just fold up the bench, store it and get pumped up for your next work Item
Item dimensions L x W x H 68.8 x 29.2 x 63.8 inches
- Adjustability – The seat and back pad are adjustable, and the bench can be adjusted for decline, flat, or incline exercises.
- Full body workout – Using the arm curl features, leg developer, and the incline or decline bench.
- Easy to store – This is perhaps the best feature, it can easily be folded away for the all to common problem of not having enough room.
- Comfortable padding – Between the arm roller pads and the thick padding on the bench and preacher curl pad you won’t have any problems being uncomfortable while working out.
- The bench is sturdy when unfolded, but is a little unbalanced when folded up.
- This bench is perfect for a beginner using minimal weight, but is not meant for a bodybuilder or people over 6 feet tall.
The Cannon Curl eliminates any discomforts caused by other arm blasters. We have aimed to provide supreme comfort through our abdominal pad, dense elbow pads and proper curvature of the arc that allow the user to reduce the momentum during curls. Core Prodigy brand bicep support imitates the preacher curl movement. However, this will not require the user to sacrifice any space as it is a portable piece of exercise equipment. Due to our supreme design, you will now be able to have blood pump a lot quicker to your biceps and forearms allowing more energy to be used up, and thus increasing the size of the overall muscles used.
Item Dimensions – L x W x H23 x 4 x 2 inches
- Simple design means less moving parts to break
- Doesn’t take up any room, easily tucks away in a corner or closet
- Perfectly aligns the technique of a curl to target the bicep muscle
- Can be used with any weight (dumbbell, curling bar, barbell)
- The arm piece is exceptionally crafted, but they skimped a bit on the shoulder strap. A little thin, and the foam pad rips easily.
- Since your standing you still need to be aware of your posture, and to make sure you’re not doing cheat reps. On a traditional preacher bench you don’t have to worry about this since you’re sitting down
The Pure Fitness Preacher Curl Bench combines comfort and durability with ease of movement. Constructed from heavy duty steel tubing with a powder coated finish, this compact bench is built to keep up with your lifting routines.
Heavy duty vinyl covering over the bench and preacher pad is easy to clean and the tilt-and-roll transport wheels make it a cinch to move the bench out of the way when it’s not being used.
The adjustable, thickly padded preacher cushion is extremely comfortable under the arms and helps to ensure correct lifting form for both dumbbell and barbell workouts.
Item Dimensions – 38.7″ L x 28″ W x 37.4″
- tilts and roll integrated wheels to make moving and storing easy
- Aesthetically pleasing blue and silver padding makes it look great in any home gym
- preacher bench adjusts between 32″ to 38.5″ to make the correct technique available to most body types.
- Wouldn’t leave a weighted bar on the bar rack when not sitting on the bench, there is a chance it will tip over especially with children or pets around to knock into it.
- The preacher curl board is made of cheap wood, and will move and creak while doing curls with heavier weights.
This is the most affordable bench on the list, perfect for someone trying to build a gym on a budget, while still looking for stability and performance.
Item Dimensions 56.5″ x 40.5″ x 44″ (L x W x H)
- Max weight capacity is a generous 440 pounds
- 5 different levels of adjustability to make it ergonomic and adjustable for men and women.
- Ample padding of 1.4 inches to make your workout comfortable
- This is not easy to put together even for people who would consider themselves “handy” instructions are poorly written out.
- Stability can be an issue when racking the weight due to the low weight of the entire bench. Should be placed against a wall to help with this.
This triceps extension and preacher bench curl machine adjusts quickly between modes to facilitate a complete arm workout. The seat is adjustable to fit users of all sizes, with padding positioned at a 30-degree angle for precise biomechanical movement.
Item Dimensions – L x W x H43 x 40 x 45 inches
- Ultra thich dura film upholstery
- set at a 30 degree angle for perfect bio-mechanical movement to target the peak of the bicep
- Lifting arm can be adjusted for a tricep workout
- Total unit is 88 pounds, making it a little heavy to move around
- Need to buy an olympic weight sleeve
- Because of the mechanical aspect, it can be challenging to put together.
This is a cheap option for someone with a need, but a budget to shop by.
Item Dimensions – 27 (L) x30(W) x35(H) inch
- Very Affordable
- Frame is well made with 2×2 steel
- Preacher pad is smaller than most options
- Seat does not adjust
- Not meant for taller people
Item Dimensions – 75” x 27” W x 49.5” H
- Compact making it easy to fit into home gyms without a lot of room
- You can remove the preacher curl attachment for when you’re doing overhead moves
- Versatile exercises with the preacher bench, leg extensions, and the leg curls
- Not hard to put together, but a bit time consuming
- If you’re a shorter person you’ll have to adjust the way you do the leg exercises.
Designed for comfort and efficiency, this arm curl bench has extra-wide seat and arm pads and is adjustable for users of all sizes.
Item Dimensions – L x W x H 33 x 36 x 37 inches
- !0 year frame warranty
- Heavy gauge steel frame with a wider base for stability
- Great for shorter guys or women
- Preacher bench and seat are made of wood, this is concerning since these are the two areas that support all your weight during the exercise.
- Arm can not be moved up or down
What Are Preacher Curl Benches
A preacher curl bench is a popular piece of equipment that is made of a steel frame with an adjustable seat and a pad that you rest your forearms on while doing certain curling exercises.
Preacher curl benches will have a preacher pad set at a 45 degree angle, don’t mistake these with a spider curl that have a vertical angle.
How Do You Use a Preacher Curl Bench
- Sit down on the seat and adjust it so that the preacher pad is in the middle of your chest.
- If your preacher bench is bolted to the floor or heavy enough you can put a weighted bar on the bar rack before you sit down. If you’re not sure of the stability of your bench have someone hand you the weighted bar, or dumbbells.
- With your forearms laying against the preacher bench pad and your chest touching it, hold the bar or dumbbells at shoulder length.
- As you exhale, curl the weight up making sure your forearms don’t come off the pad, once your biceps are contracted and the weights are at shoulder height. Hold this for a moment while squeezing the bicep muscles.
- In a controlled manner lower the bar while exhaling, don’t drop your arms to fast, you want to take 2 to 3 seconds.
- You’re back at the starting position repeat until done.
What Should I look For In A Preacher Curl Bench
- Stability – You want to make sure the bench you’re buying is stable and heavy enough that it won’t tip when you put a weighted bar on the bar rack. You also want to make sure the back frame won’t come off the floor when you have the weight extended out in front of you. Also make sure the frame is levelled so that it doesn’t rock when exercising.
- Quality of the preacher pad – A lot of benches build the frame with high quality steel, but forget to put a lot of thought into how strong the preacher pad is. you’ll find that a lot of them are made from cheap particle board or composites, and they end up breaking over time.
- Adjustability – People are made up of all different body types and you need to be able to adjust the seat and preacher pad to accommodate everyone. If you’re not sitting at the bench properly then your form will be wrong and you won’t be targeting the correct muscle groups.
- Size of the footprint – If you’re one of the lucky people and have plenty of room for your gym equipment then this isn’t a problem for you, but most of us have limited room and it’s important to make sure before buying that you’ll be able to fit your new bench into your home gym.
- Budget – Most people aren’t rich with an unlimited budget, so you need to do your research and make sure that you’re not spending to much, but at the same time not buying a piece of crap that is going to break in 4 months.
- Stand alone or full bench – If you’re a beginner with limited gym equipment then you may want to look into the benches that are a all in one including a bench press, leg press, preacher curl etc. If you already have an established home gym then you are probably looking for a stand alone preacher curl bench.
What Muscles Are Worked On A Preacher Curl Bench
The Brachialis muscle which is the lower part of your bicep muscle is the main muscle targeted and grown during a preacher curl, and this doesn’t change when using different weights and bars. Curling bars, barbells, or dumbbells will all target the same muscles during this exercise.
Other muscles that help perform a preacher curl are the biceps brachii, and brachioradialis. Your wrist flexors will act as stabilizers during the move.
What Are They Good For
The preacher curl is done for one reason and that is to develop the inner bicep on your upper arms for a thicker, fuller, bigger, and stronger arm.
Preacher Curl Exercises With Different Weights
Concentrated Preacher Curl With Dumbbells
This is my favorite way of executing a preacher curl, I feel you can target the bicep the best this way, just make sure you don’t turn your wrist out taking some of the strain off of your bicep.
Preacher curl with curling bar (EZ bar)
If you experience wrist pain while lifting weights then the curling bar is you’re best choice due to its ergonomic grip.
Preacher Curl Using A Straight Bar
One of the benefits to using a straight bar is that it locks your wrists so that you can’t turn them to take the stress off of your biceps making sure that your bicep is the only muscle being targeted throughout the exercise. It’s also convenient since even the most novice weight lifters have a straight bar.
There are all types of preacher curl benches, from accessories, stand alone benches, and full body benches. Just make sure to do your research before buying and make sure you will be able to use it safely, and for a long time.