Not taking creatine while cutting is a mistake a newbie and experienced lifters make all the time.
There is going to come a point when you need to cut to shed some excess fat and create more muscle definition, do not stop taking your creatine when you do this.
A lot of people ask me if they should stop taking creatine when they start cutting or should they continue the same as they did when they were bulking, the answer is hell yes.
In this article, we’re going to do a quick overview of what creatine is, the benefits, dosage amounts, and why you should definitely take it while cutting.
What Is Creatine
Creatine is a substance that is naturally made within your muscle cells, it allocates energy to your muscles during bouts of stressful heavy lifting and high intensity exercise.
It’s very similar to amino acids and in fact your body can produce it from the amino acids glycine and arginine.
The vast majority of your body’s creatine will be found in your muscles with a very small percentage being stored in your liver, brain and kidneys.
You would naturally affect the amount of creatine in you by how much meat is in your diet, how often you exercise, the percentage of muscle on your body and the amount of hormones like testosterone you have.
Is Creatine Safe
Creatine is the number one fitness supplement sold and has been put through more testing than any other product, some people will tell you that it is unsafe but there is not one scientific test or study to back this claim.
There has been studies that last 4 to 5 years and have never shown any short or long term negative side effects.
The Manova study had a subject take creatine daily for 21 months and then did a blood test on this individual and measured over 50 blood markers and didn’t observe a single adverse effect.
When all is said and done creatine is one of the safest products on the market and should be included in your supplement regimen.
What Should You Expect When Taking Creatine While Cutting
- Increased workload- It allows you to perform longer in the gym which will obviously help your long term muscle growth.
- Will help individual cell performance- This is important when it comes to muscle repair and growth.
- Hormone levels increase- Studies have shown testosterone and IGF-1 increase with creatine use
- Hydrates the cell within your muscles- This likely plays a large role in muscle growth and fatigue.
- Helps your body limit protein breakdown- This means that your muscles also won’t breakdown as fast.
The end result from all of the above factors is an increase in overall strength throughout the body.
This review showed an 8% increase in strength alone, 14% weightlifting performance and an increase in an individuals one rep max bench press by 43%.
It has been shown to increase muscle fiber growth 2 times more than just training alone.
I want to preference all this by saying that just like everything else in life, individual results are going to vary dramatically from one person to the next.
- Your genes
- Workout intensity
- Nutrition plan
Will all play a major role in the results you get from any supplement or fitness routine.
Should You Take Creatine While Cutting
I could conclude this entire paragraph by just saying HELL YES but since we’re here we mind as well discuss why creatine is so beneficial during a cutting phase.
You just spent months in the gym putting in all the hard work needed to build the body of a greek god and now you’re ready to burn off the excess fat that comes with being on a calorie surplus.
What is the one thing you fear at this point.
That’s right, losing any of the gains you just made during your bulking cycle.
In order for you to burn the fat away you need to put yourself into a calorie deficit, when not done properly this can be a major threat to keeping all the muscle you just gained.
Your sole focus when it comes to a cutting phase should be creating a diet, cardio, and supplement program with the sole focus of preserving the muscle you have.
This means not being on to deep of a calorie deficit, being mindful of how much cardio you do and taking creatine to help protect your muscles during this phase.
When you take creatine while cutting it draws water into your muscle fibers which will act as a protective barrier and help support muscle repair and limit the damage done during a cutting phase.
Dehydrated muscles will breakdown much faster than when they are properly hydrated, we all know we need to drink about a gallon of water a day to help preserve or build muscle.
Taking Creatine while cutting will act as insurance by acting as an aid in muscle hydration.
So, just in case you didn’t catch it the first time the answer is HELL YES.
Best Supplement To Combine With Creatine To Help With Your Cutting Phase
Best Creatine To Take While Cutting
Why I’m saying this is quite simple.
- It is the most tested creatine on the market
- There is no doubt about its effectiveness and safety reputation
- The cost per serving is cheap especially when compared to other supplements that don’t have nearly the the same amount of positive effects.
It is the king of creatine supplements and has no threat of being dethroned anytime soon.
One tip, if creatine monohydrate upsets your stomach try using de-micronized creatine monohydrate instead.
Top Rated Brands
5G CREAPURE CREATINE MONOHYDRATE PER SERVING – the highest quality form of creatine monohydrate available
SUPPORTS INCREASES IN ENERGY, ENDURANCE & RECOVERY
MAXIMUM POTENCY – supports muscle size, strength, and power
SUPREME ABSORBENCY – micronized to get the most out of each dose
UNFLAVORED – can be mixed in your favorite beverage with ease – BEST VALUE FOR MONEY:
- THE BEST CUTTING CREATINE WHILE CUTTING: micronized creatine monohydrate powder supplement that combines a high-performance formula with a jaw-dropping price, then look no further. Unlike most other creatine powder supplements on the market, this micronized creatine monohydrate formula offers massive muscle gains without breaking the bank.
- LAB-TESTED QUALITY: Stop wasting tons of money on unreliable, ineffective products that just don’t work. Trust in this lab-tested, verified, and 99.99% purity guaranteed micronized creatine monohydrate powder that delivers on its promises.
- VEGAN FRIENDLY: Are you on a vegan diet? BulkSupplements pure micronized creatine monohydrate bodybuilding/CrossFit supplement contains no dairy or dangerous/unnecessary additives and is sugar, soy, yeast, and gluten-free, so you can use it with peace of mind.
- Same trusted quality with a brand new look! Packaging may vary
- MASS BUILDING*/ENERGY PRODUCTION*: NOW Sports Creatine Monohydrate provides clean muscle fuel* and has no additives or preservatives. Studies have demonstrated that creatine supplementation can help to maintain existing muscle tissue, support the growth and development of lean mass, and promote optimal performance during short bouts of intense exercise.* (Non-GMO, Quality GMP Assured, Kosher, Vegan/Vegetarian, Steroid Free)
- The Informed-Sport seal is your assurance that each and every production run of these NOW Sports products has been tested for banned substances by LGC, a globally recognized assurance program for anti-doping in sports nutrition products. In addition to production run testing, Informed-Sport-certified products are also blind-sampled at the retail level up to four times annually, and testing results can be found at informed-sport.com.
- GMP Quality Assured: NPA A-rated GMP certification means that every aspect of the NOW manufacturing process has been examined, including our laboratory/testing methods (for stability, potency, and product formulation).
How To Take Creatine While Cutting
Dosage- If you’ve never taken creatine before you will want to start with a loading phase which consists of you taking 1 well rounded scoop before breakfast, lunch and dinner and then one last scoop before bed and do this for 5 to 7 days.
That makes a total of 4 scoops a day with each scoop being 5 grams for a total of 20 grams.
This will increase your creatine stores 10 to 40%
After the initial loading phase all you need to do is take one well rounded scoop once a day.
Can You Still Lose Weight While taking creatine
All, the same rules of losing weight still applies when you’re taking creatine.
If you burn more calories than you consume each day you will burn fat. Calories in, calories out. It’s as simple as that.
There is too much focus on the fact that creatine will make you gain a little bit of water weight in the first couple weeks, but no one pays attention to the fact that your body adapts after that and you start to retain the normal amount of water you did when you weren’t on creatine.
Is Creatine For Bulking Or Cutting
Creatine has become so popular because of its effectiveness at building muscle and creating ATP production, but it is very valuable as a tool to help you lose weight during a cutting period also.
For some reason people get scared of the bloating threat creatine can cause, but this only happens when people don’t drink enough water or take the incorrect dosage.
When to take creatine
Some people will say you need to take it right after you workout, personally I don’t believe or have ever seen any difference in taking it at any set point in the day.
Everyone will have a different opinion or take on this subject so in the end do what you think is right.
What Should You Mix with Creatine
I know people that take it with water and I can’t say they are wrong, I tend to agree with the studies that show if you take it with any type of juice that the sugar in the juice will cause an insulin spike helping more of the creatine to be absorbed into your muscles.
Is it okay to mix Creatine With Your protein shake
Some people also like to combine it with there protein shake to make it more convenient, this is perfectly fine also.
Creatine and protein will be absorbed by your body by a (on need basis) so in the end this won’t have any negative effects.
How to avoid bloating When taking Creatine While Cutting
Simply put you need to make sure you’re drinking plenty of water when supplementing with creatine, When creatine draws water into your muscles it is obviously pulling water from your body which will make you dehydrated.
Dehydration will lead to your body becoming bloated.
Constantly check the color and scent of your urine to make sure you’re not dehydrated, if you’re noticing a yellow tinge or dark yellow color to your urine or if you notice that your urine smells these are direct signs telling you that you need to drink more water.
Creatine bloating can be avoided if you pay attention to how you’re taking it and making sure to drink enough water.
I constantly talk about there not being any magic pills or wonder drugs in the fitness world but if I had to pick one product to compare to a wonder drug it would be creatine.
When used properly along side a well planned nutrition and fitness regimen it can definitely help you reach your goals.