Freestanding pull-up bar stands come in a wide range of options depending on what you’re looking for, the most popular are portable and nonportable brands, but you have to be careful because a lot of the portable types aren’t as well balanced, and aren’t made with the strongest materials.
You also need to decide if you want a unit that is only good for pull-ups or do you want a brand that you can add accessories to so that you can work your entire upper body.
This is why we made this list of the best free-standing pull up bars so that you can see the top-rated pull-up bar stands, and to be able to compare which one’s will work best for your goals and your home.
In A Hurry? Here Are The Top 5 Free Standing Pull Up Bar Stands
|HARISON Multifunction Power Tower Pull Up Dip Station with Bench Home Gym Exercise Equipment, Dip Stands, Pull Up Bars, Push Up Bars, VKR, Chin Ups for Strength Training Workout||Prime||Buy Now|
|Stamina 1690 Power Tower||Prime||Buy Now|
|RELIFE REBUILD YOUR LIFE Power Tower Pull Up Dip Station for Home Gym Adjustable Height Strength Training Workout Equipment||Prime||Buy Now|
|HIBRO Multifunction Power Tower Pull Up Dip Station, Dumbbell Bench,Strength Training Workout Home Gym Fitness Equipment||Prime||Buy Now|
|K KiNGKANG Power Tower Adjustable Height Multi-Function Home Strength Training Fitness Workout Station, T056||Prime||Buy Now|
- Says that weight limit is 500 but I wouldn’t exceed 300
- I wish the steel was a heavier gauge but the unit is well made and comes with a bench.
- No padding for standard grip pull-ups, you will need to use gloves or put tape on the bars
- The tower will wobble if you start kipping, but every stand will do this.
- If you’re taller than 6’2″ or taller you’ll have a hard time using the leg lift pads.
- Watch hitting your shin on the middle horizontal bar
- A little heavy, so make sure you install it where you are going to use it.
- A little more expensive than other brands, but you get what you pay for
- There really isn’t anything negative that stands, this is the best piece for the price.
- A little hard to put together, don’t tighten the screws until your done. The elbow pads are easier to install if you align the pad with the second screw hole and use pressure to push it through. ( you’ll understand once you see it)
- Some people complained of scratches on metal, personally this doesn’t bother, if you use the equipment it’s going to be worn in time anyway.
- No back pad for leg lift
- Not meant for people that are over 6’2″
- Easier to put together if you use power tool and have a helper
- Smaller size people have a hard time using the dips, and leg raise due to them feeling like they’re to far apart.
- A little wobbly
- Dip bars are narrow and hard to use.
- The rack bars have about a 1-inch clearance so you have to be careful when you place the bars.
- To fold up you have to loosen the screws in the corners this makes it take a little longer to put away and put back together, but this is done so that there is more stability while using. Which is a positive thing to me.
- The dips are wobbly, but this is normal with a portable unit
- Carrying bag is cheap
- The support posts are 2 pieces so they’re a little wobbly
- Do not use the tools that come with it to build, you’ll never get the nuts tight enough. Make sure to have power tools of your own to assemble.
- This is a very sturdy, strong product, the reason it’s lower in the list is due to the fact that there seems to be some manufacturing issues. Out of the three we saw 2 had issues. One of them had rust on the metal pieces and the other had imperfect welds. The third was perfect, Would’ve been higher up if we didn’t see the imperfections from 2 out of the 3 pieces of equipment.
What Accessories Can I Buy For My Pull Up Bar Stand
What Pull Up Bar Stand Should You Buy
This will depend on how you choose to use it.
There are different types for different uses like…
If you’re planning on putting it in your home gym and never moving it then you’ll want to buy a non-portable heavy-duty brand with a steel frame.
If you’re into working out in groups and you change up where you like to exercise then you’ll want to look into a portable or outdoor version.
If you don’t have enough room to keep it out all the time you’ll need to buy a foldable type to be able to store when you’re not using it.
How High Should My Free Standing Pull Up Bar Be
The best method to see how high it should be since everyone is a different height is to stand against a wall on your tiptoes and reach your arms above your head then mark the top of your fingers on your one hand and then add 5 inches.
This will give you enough of a height that you’ll be able to perform a pull up without having to worry about your feet hitting the floor.
What Should I Look For In A Free Standing Pull Up Bar Stand
- Weight Limit- You need to make sure that the equipment you’re going to be training on can support your weight for obvious reasons, you don’t want to end up on your ass in the middle of training. As a good rule of thumb, you should look for a stand that can hold at least 100 more pounds than the heaviest person that’s going to be using it.
- Footprint- You’d be surprised how many people buy a piece of equipment without looking at the product specs and then realize once they get it that they can’t fit it in their home gym. I will make sure to place the measurements of every piece in this article for easy reference.
- Stability- Some types are going to be more stable than others due to how they are made, for example, folding and portable stands since they have hinges will have a little bit of movement. No matter how well they’re made it’s not possible for these types to be as stable as a fixed stand or power tower.
- Height- The height of your stand needs to be taken into consideration for how high your ceilings are and how high the tallest person that’s going to be using it is.
- Adjustability- This comes into play when more than one person is going to be using it, obviously if one of these people is shorter than the others there going to want to adjust the height, or use a stool. Just make sure to think of this when purchasing.
Types Of Free Standing Pull Up Bar Stands
- Portable-These are normally made of resin, plastic, or aluminum. Convenient for cross fitters or people that like to change up their surroundings, but they’re normally not as sturdy as fixed brands.
- Foldable- These are normally meant for folks that don’t have the room to keep a fixed free standing pull up bar out all day long, but they have some of the same problems as the portable types, make sure to read the reviews and buy a decent one or you’ll find that they tend to be unbalanced and not as safe.
- Adjustable- these are geared towards people that will be having multiple people using them if you’re 6’2″ and your wife is 5’5″ then you’ll both need different size pull up bars to do the exercise safely
Why Should You Use A Pull Up Bar Stand
Pull-ups are hands down (no pun intended) one of the best exercises you can do for yourself, it builds muscle and helps with cardiovascular endurance.
Build your back muscles
- Trapezius muscle: Start at your neck and flanks out to your shoulders
- Spinal erectors: These are the muscles that run along your thoracic spine
- Infraspinatus: Located on the shoulder blade, it’s one of 4 muscles that make up the rotator cuff
- Latissimus dorsi: Or commonly known as lats are the largest muscles in your upper body. They are the large flat muscles that reach out to your sides under your arms and up to your armpits.
Strengthens your arm and shoulders
Both of your heads in your shoulders and your forearms will be targeted during a pull-up, a lot of people can’t do multiple pull-ups or can’t do even a full one, but that’s okay.
Even going as high as you can or just hanging from the bar will help strengthen these muscles to get you started.
Makes Your Overall Health Better
Pull-ups are considered strength training, and there have been many studies done showing the health benefits that accompany any type of strength training workout routine.
- Build up of lean muscle mass
- Increased strength levels
- Lower levels of body fat
- Lowers your blood pressure
- Increases your bone density
- Help deter type 2 diabetes
- Help fight pain from arthritis
- Reduces anxiety
- Increases energy
- Reduces depression
- Improves confidence
It’s funny how Dr’s still prescribe medicine for almost every ailment that I just listed, but in a lot of cases, all we have to do is be more active and fix our health ailments by becoming healthier and exercising more.
Benefits Of Using A Pull-Up Bar Stand
You can buy doorway pull up bars, but the last thing you want is to have it fail when you are placing all of your weight on it and to end up injured or with a damaged door jamb.
The other reason is with a fixed pull-up bar It’s only good for one exercise, where a free-standing pull-up bar stand can be used for bodyweight exercise training like knee raises, leg raises, triceps dips, squat rack, bench presses, suspension training system, push-ups, and obviously as a pull-up station.
Disadvantages Of Using A Free Standing Pull Up Bar Stand
- It’s not versatile like a power tower and you are only going to be able to do a select few exercises on it.
- Costs more than a fixed pull-up bar.
- It can be unbalanced if you don’t put it together properly or opt for a cheaper model.
How High Should I Make Sure My Pull Up Bar Stand Is
Can Pull-Ups Build Muscle
Pull-ups and chin-ups are some of the most physically demanding exercises you can do, you’ll build your back muscles, shoulders, forearms, and biceps.
While burning excess body fat while increasing your conditioning and endurance.
You’ll want to incorporate them into your fitness routine 2 to 3 times a week.
If you find yourself not being able to do a pull up just yet then buy a Pull up assist band it attaches to your pull up bar and makes it possible for you to do a pull without lifting all f your bodyweight. It’s a piece of equipment a lot of people don’t know about but will do wonders for your results.
Which Muscle Groups Are Targeted With pull Ups
- Your lats
- Deltoid (shoulder muscle)
- Your pecs
- Upper back muscle (Teres major)
- 2nd muscle in your Rotator cuff (teres minor)
- 3rd muscle in your rotator cuff (infraspinatus
- Coracobrachial (muscle above your bicep)
As you can see, pull-ups are one of the best overall body workouts you can do.
Can you burn fat doing pull-ups
When I create fitness plans for people that want to lose weight they’re sometimes surprised that I include pull-ups into the plan, but you will burn a massive amount of calories by doing them.
Plus, when you start to build muscle your body actually needs to burn more calories to maintain a higher amount of muscle then it does to maintain a body with higher levels of fat.
This means that a person with more muscle will burn more calories sitting on the couch binging Netflix then a person that has less muscle.
What Is The Difference Between Chin-ups And Pull-Ups
This is very easy to explain.
Many people think both are the same since both exercises end with your chin above the bar.
However, a pull up is when you grab the bar with an overhand grip, this means that your palms are facing away from you.
A chin-up is done in an opposite manner where you would use a wide underhand grip with your palms facing you.
Do Pull Up Bars Mess Up Doors?
No matter how well a pull-up bar is designed, if it is attached to your door frame it will eventually cause marks, scratches, or dents to your door jamb or paint.
No matter how tight the pull-up bar seems the fact that you’re constantly putting all of your weight on it and pulling yourself up and down will cause it to move, and damage your frame or paint.
I’ve tried putting materials in between the suction cup and the frame like cardboard, cloth, and wood, but in the end, it always caused some sort of marks.
Can You Make Your Own Pull Up Bar Stand
You can definitely make your own, just make sure to use threaded steel so that you can put 90-degree angles on it and make sure the gauge steel you’re using can hold the weight you’re going to apply to it.
If you’re making your own just to say you made it then I would say go for it, but if you’re doing it to save money, In the end, you’re not going to save that much and lets face it, the manufacturing you’re going to get from a company that does this every day is going to be better than anything most people make at home.
What Is The Difference Between A Free Standing Pull Up Bar Stand And A Power Tower
A power tower is referred to as any piece of equipment that allows you to do multiple exercises on it, this allows you to target multiple muscle groups while performing full-body workouts.
Power towers are made of a tubular steel frame or high impact resin, you can buy brands that will stay in your home gym or one’s that can be broken down and become portable
Maximum supported weight of power towers is generally around 300 pounds, make sure to check the product specifications.
Exercises that you can perform on power towers…
- Leg raises
- Knee raises
Free Standing Pull Up Bar Stand
A free-standing pull-up bar stand is a piece of equipment for your home gym that is meant just to do the various types of pull-ups, and chin-ups.
You won’t be able to do, dips, push-ups, or leg exercises like you can do on a power tower.
Does Walmart Sell Pull Up Bar Stands
Yes, Walmart sells everything, but you will find a greater selection on Amazon, and they’re cheaper.
Pull ups are one of the best exercises you can do to increase your strength, endurance and overall physical well being.
When it comes to buying a free standing pull up bar it’s like anything else, you just need to know what to look for and exactly how you’re going to be using it to make the best purchase in the end.